Trading Bases

Discuss winning strategies, theories and ideas
ChinMusic

Trading Bases

Post by ChinMusic » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:03 am

I just finished reading a great book, mostly about baseball betting, but also about stock trading and the fall of Lehman Brothers. The book is Trading Bases, by Joe Peta. Highly recommended.

ProlinePlayer
Site Admin

Re: Trading Bases

Post by ProlinePlayer » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:35 am

ChinMusic wrote:I just finished reading a great book, mostly about baseball betting, but also about stock trading and the fall of Lehman Brothers. The book is Trading Bases, by Joe Peta. Highly recommended.

Just came in the mail and I might as well spend the day in bed reading it. Benefit of being sick :)

PLP

ProlinePlayer
Site Admin

Re: Trading Bases

Post by ProlinePlayer » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:46 am

An enjoyable book on the whole. Always interested in seeing how others attack handicapping.

Liked his 'cluster luck' approach. Although we all try to separate luck and skill in our analysis of team results in my case it would be more indirectly. Found his way of analyzing this very informative.
Also his technique for converting win two win probabilities against average opponents into a direct win/loss probabilities for a head to head match-up is useful.

On the negative side most of the book is more stories than how to actually handicap a game. Also he strikes me as a bit naive regarding real life sports betting. Thinking that he can form a syndicate and approach the British books to handle their large plays is so far off how the real world works .....

On the whole I would also recommend.

PLP