golden star edges (CBB)

This area is for discussion of proline plays. Picks, handicapping and edge plays all welcome.
rc99ar

Re: golden star edges (CBB)

Post by rc99ar » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:51 pm

ProlinePlayer wrote:
rc99ar wrote:
ProlinePlayer wrote:..... And I'm pretty sure that they are all ahead of the OLG. Many to amounts running into the millions!

PLP
The term 'many' is relative. I would be extremely surprised if there have been more than 10 multi-millionaires from playing edges on sports lotteries.

'many' may have been too strong a word :D No way to know of course, but I think I could name 10 that qualify just from here. So I assume there are many more :)
I've been betting edges for about 3 years and am still behind, variance can be a cruel mistress.
I admit that I'm surprised that after that long a time you're behind. Do you play very day or just occasionally? I mentioned in an earlier thread that times are tougher than they used to be but I'm still showing a profit every year.
Although it's true small chances can greatly affect things. Missing a day, which turns out to be a mega win could have a large impact on the final year end totals.
As you say variance ....

PLP
Took a look. Since fall 2011 Ive put 129870 on edges and it's returned 122264. There have been 148 days in which I've placed a bet but on probably 45 of those days the bet was $200 or less. I've certainly been on some longer odds than I would like as I don't like getting up in the morning and certainly missed some winning days, but also missed many losers. My bet sizing is erratic because if Im going to put the time into making the bets I need to be getting about $400 in EV (more variance) unless I am killing time at something else. My ev is likely in the neighbourhood of 30k which could easily be made up with 3 or 4 wins. Not saying anything against the edges, just putting out my perspective on things.
For someone to make $2million doing this they need to be getting down $10k twice a week for 10 years at a 20% edge. Not easy.

BTS

Post by BTS » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:07 pm

ChinMusic wrote:I'm also surprised at showing a loss after 3 years. Since I started this 10 years ago, longest stretch without showing a profit was 8 months.
I'm going to guess Feb/March to Sept/Oct 2010. :)

leoj

Post by leoj » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:17 pm

BTS wrote:
ChinMusic wrote:I'm also surprised at showing a loss after 3 years. Since I started this 10 years ago, longest stretch without showing a profit was 8 months.
Ugly stretch.

March - Oct 2010 I was -8 %

However for the year 2010 I was +11 %, Feb and Nov were excellent months.

Just the nature of the game.

ChinMusic

Post by ChinMusic » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:10 pm

BTS wrote:
Very astute. March-Sept 2010 (7 months) was very ugly. Oct was good, but not enough to overcome the previous 7 months. Then came November 2010, best month I have had, or will likely ever have. And that's typical of how this goes. If I had over-reacted to those 7 bad months and given up, then I would not have experienced the overwhelming success that followed.

McGuire72

Post by McGuire72 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:05 pm

Few things are as discouraging as when you play steady and go hard for a few weeks straight and lose only to miss the one day where everything clicks! Especially when you realize that you might not see another day like that for months or even a year. Gotta stay consistent.