Ex $$ Win Field?

Questions, suggestion and tips regarding the use of the ProlineParlayMaker program
Dilbert

Ex $$ Win Field?

Post by Dilbert » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:54 am

PLP,

For generating the list of parlays, I suggest having an alternative/additional criteria to the minimum player edge field. My suggestion would be to have a minimum expected dollars to win field.

Dilbert

BTS

Re: Ex $$ Win Field?

Post by BTS » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:44 am

The EXP field already lists this info. You can choose to auto sort by it and just remove all combos below your chosen threshold.

ProlinePlayer
Site Admin

Post by ProlinePlayer » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:21 pm

Dilbert wrote:PLP,

For generating the list of parlays, I suggest having an alternative/additional criteria to the minimum player edge field. My suggestion would be to have a minimum expected dollars to win field.

Dilbert

On thinking about this I realise that this would be simple to add. Just another optional field (could be left blank) which specifies a minimum win ex. I'll try to do this later in the week.
The EXP field already lists this info. You can choose to auto sort by it and just remove all combos below your chosen threshold.
As BTS points out this can already be done. Just takes a few simple steps.
First go to the menu bar - 'Parlay List / List Display Options' and check 'Expected Win'. This will add another column to the parlays panel - $$ Exp - which is the expected win in dollars.

After generating the list of parlays you have a couple of choices. You can click on the column header ($$ Exp) and this will sort the values from high to low. Then just select the ones you don't want and delete them.

or

After generating the list of parlays. In the panel labelled 'Edit Parlay List' - in the text box enter the value for the minimum win ex. In the first drop down box (Select Options...) select 'By Ex $$ Win'. This will highlight all parlays in the list which match the minimum value. Then select the next drop down list (Edit Parlay List...) and select 'Filter'. And that will remove all the parlays you don't want leaving the list of above min pc and above min win ex.

PLP

Dilbert

Post by Dilbert » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:29 am

ProlinePlayer wrote:
Dilbert wrote:PLP,

Dilbert

On thinking about this I realise that this would be simple to add. Just another optional field (could be left blank) which specifies a minimum win ex. I'll try to do this later in the week.
As BTS points out this can already be done. Just takes a few simple steps.
First go to the menu bar - 'Parlay List / List Display Options' and check 'Expected Win'. This will add another column to the parlays panel - $$ Exp - which is the expected win in dollars.

After generating the list of parlays you have a couple of choices. You can click on the column header ($$ Exp) and this will sort the values from high to low. Then just select the ones you don't want and delete them.

or

After generating the list of parlays. In the panel labelled 'Edit Parlay List' - in the text box enter the value for the minimum win ex. In the first drop down box (Select Options...) select 'By Ex $$ Win'. This will highlight all parlays in the list which match the minimum value. Then select the next drop down list (Edit Parlay List...) and select 'Filter'. And that will remove all the parlays you don't want leaving the list of above min pc and above min win ex.

PLP
I have used both methods and they work well when there are a few edges. But when there are a lot of edges, the min player edge needs to be set higher to avoid an 'out of memory' error. This higher min player edge setting causes the parlay maker to sometimes miss good parlays(based on expected dollars to win) at the lower end of the payout range.

Dilbert

ProlinePlayer
Site Admin

Post by ProlinePlayer » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:24 pm

Dilbert wrote: I have used both methods and they work well when there are a few edges. But when there are a lot of edges, the min player edge needs to be set higher to avoid an 'out of memory' error. This higher min player edge setting causes the parlay maker to sometimes miss good parlays(based on expected dollars to win) at the lower end of the payout range.

Dilbert
Sorry to be so long getting back to you on this but I wanted to take a look at some of the programming before replying.

I'm somewhat familiar to the problem 'out of memory'. Somewhat seems a strange way to put so let me explain. When debugging some new code I'll of course test the program as much as I can. And when doing this it's a matter of making the test as hard as possible and seeing if you can get something to go wrong. Like selecting 20 plays and asking for all the 9-10-11-12 teamers for example. I have when doing this encountered the memory problem. However I have never had it come up under normal day-to-day use. (Anyone else had this error?)

I spent some time on this over the weekend and the program would not co-operate and just kept on working without a crash. It is a pain to try to fix an error which you can't reproduce, even if you know that it is there.

Over the next week I'll be doing some work on it to add a props tab. While I'm about it I'll check and see if I can add some code to better manage the memory.

PLP