Points from gas stations

The math of winning at proline. Edge play, bankroll management and related issues.
richhhh

Re: Points from gas stations

Post by richhhh » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:23 am

Biffalo Buff wrote:You can get some decent points and cash back by buying tickets at Shoppers Drug Mart.

There is a fairly new credit card, PC Financial World Elite, which gives 3% cash back at Shoppers Drug Mart. In addition to this, if you buy gift cards first and use the gift cards to pay for the proline tickets then you also get Optimum Points, which can be redeemed for merchandise, but not gift cards or proline tickets, at SDM. You get no Optimum points if you pay for the proline tickets directly, hence the reason for the gift cards.

Each $100 SDM gift card you buy will get 1000 Optimum points. The value of these points depends on how many you redeem at once. They are worth $1.78 if you save up 90 000 of them, and a little over $2 if you also wait for a bonus redemption day. If you have the above credit card, combined with the points this is about 5% back. So this can turn a 10% edge into a 15.8% edge if you don't mind shopping at SDM.

Also, for the next 2 days SDM has a promotion on where if you buy $175 worth of gift cards (has to be 2 or more gift cards) you get 8000 bonus Optimum points. This can be done up to three times in three separate transactions. If you were to buy $200 worth of SDM gift cards you would get 8000 bonus points plus the 2000 points you would normally get for a total of 10 000 points. Repeat this 3 times for a total of 30 000 points worth about $60, plus whatever cash back your credit card offers.

Biff do you actually do this? I recently used a gift card at shoppers drug mart to buy lotto and it worked(altho they needed to call manager) I assume you are getting your points for purchases of gift cards. The reason I ask is rbc just came out with visa optimum card here are the details.

Earn 15 Points† for every $1 in eligible in-store purchases made at Shoppers Drug Mart
using your RBC Shoppers Optimum MasterCard. Plus, since you earn 10 Points for every $1 in purchases just by presenting your Shoppers Optimum Card (loyalty card)**, you’ll actually earn 25 Points for every $1 in purchases.

So I did the math, If this actually works every 3800$ spent would return 200$ with a return rate of 5.3% on redemption days. On non redemption's days for every 3800$ spent would return 170$ with a return rate of 4.5%. Also buy signing up you can earn up to 70000 bonus points which is worth about 150$ depending if you redeem during redemption days or not.

Sounds pretty good and another tool for obtaining high reward return on my plays. Good option for me as rbc with approve me when others may or may not.

So is going well with your current set up at sdm?

Buy your calculation's on optimum points that would be about 5% return on redemption days. Also when you sign up you can get up to 70000 points free.

Biffalo Buff

Post by Biffalo Buff » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:30 pm

Hey Rich. Yes, I do this on a fairly small scale at SDM. The ones I go too will only let me play $100 per day. The last time they pointed to a printout on the yellow OLG ticket paper taped beside the machine that stated the $100 per product per day rule, so I think that particular store has fairly well trained employees.

I have never had a problem either getting points for buying gift cards or using gift cards to pay for lottery products.

One other thing to look at is clicking through the airmilesshops.ca to get to eBay when buying petro cards, which I saw were relisted yesterday. For a while they had a promotion on for 10x airmiles for purchases at eBay (this was recent but has since expired). If I recall correctly, this would have netted 500 airmiles on a $1000 purchase. I have since seen 2x airmiles promos but nothing close to 10x again. Currently they are only offering a base rate of 50 air miles for a $1000 purchase.

Thanks for the cardswap tips. I will look into this further.

richhhh

Post by richhhh » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:00 am

A small update on cardswap, They actually send live gift cards. If they were to be lost in the mail I dunno what would happen. I purchased reloaded gift cards for the reason I could just keep reloaded them without the need to deal with mail. This did work as I have done a reload but it was not as fast as website claimed. Took over 24 hours to actually get the reload. But keep in mind this is not really a big deal. Its free to reload and you get 2% return so just try to keep the balance ahead of expected plays. I am not sure if they will always have petro cash for sale but it appears they will. But you can tell this is a supply and demand type thing and if they feel they will sell easy they will lower the return. Cardswap is not registered at ebates or sites like it for quintuple dip purposes. Another note they have rules about purchasing one card per day(likey the mail worry causing this) but I do not think it apply s with reloaded cards as I have not been rejected multiple purchases one after another with them .

richhhh

Post by richhhh » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:58 pm

Order a loulou subscription for 12.99 and receive a vipspc card. You do not need id with a vipcard. A spc card does alot.Most notable for petro purposes receive a extra 20% petro points. So with caa/hudson bay/spc get a additional 60% on your petro points. Offer expires at the end of December.

https://secure.louloumagazine.com/pubs/ ... =Q57ACSKWP

bangminton

Post by bangminton » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:42 pm

richhhh wrote:Order a loulou subscription for 12.99 and receive a vipspc card. You do not need id with a vipcard. A spc card does alot.Most notable for petro purposes receive a extra 20% petro points. So with caa/hudson bay/spc get a additional 60% on your petro points. Offer expires at the end of December.

https://secure.louloumagazine.com/pubs/ ... =Q57ACSKWP
Nice find, rich! I also ordered a subscription. You are right that there are quite a bit of discounts with that card as well, besides Petro. I used to have it when I was still a student which seems so long ago now.

red_falcon

Post by red_falcon » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:05 am

Looks like we're getting LouLou as Christmas gifts this December, lol.

Red.

richhhh

Post by richhhh » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:17 pm

So I got approved for a cibc petro credit card. Will I be earning extra petro points now? I realize I will now earn petro points on purchases outside of petro. Will I still need to use my petro points card at petro? I doubt this credit card can beat my 2.8% return with petro points (3.2% when spc is registered) +2% reload gift card + 1% from credit card. But thought it would be good to have for purchases outside of petro and when I do not have a reloads available via gift card.

red_falcon

Post by red_falcon » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:40 pm

richhhh wrote:So I got approved for a cibc petro credit card. Will I be earning extra petro points now? I realize I will now earn petro points on purchases outside of petro. Will I still need to use my petro points card at petro? I doubt this credit card can beat my 2.8% return with petro points (3.2% when spc is registered) +2% reload gift card + 1% from credit card. But thought it would be good to have for purchases outside of petro and when I do not have a reloads available via gift card.
Richhh,

Hard to say, you will get 50% more petro points on your CIBC petro credit card. So, the base amount for every $100 will be 2000 petro points plus 1000 bonus (50%), on top of whatever you have...
Here's the breakdown:

$100 will get you:
400 HBC membership
400 SPC membership

Also, you get an additional 5000 petro points if your monthly purchases exceed $1000. Not to mention the 5cent per every dollar you purchase for Gas.
If you gas up and get 250L or more, you get an additional 750 (?) petro points.

All in all, it's a nice credit card to use, especially if you gas up at Petro Canada, as you will get 7 cents off gas (credit card gives 2 cents off, plus the gas card for 5 cents off)

Red. =)

richhhh

Post by richhhh » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:55 am

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/191736367924?_tr ... EBIDX%3AIT

10%+ ebates cashback+credit card cashback. To bad there is a limit of 5.

tshi2015

Post by tshi2015 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:51 pm

Just a heads up I've had problems with Cardswap earlier this year. I ordered some electronic reloads but they never got reloaded. In any case after some exchange of email with them nothing came out of it. Made me quite upset that I lost considerable amount.

It's good to know EBAY sells petro gift cards. I'll try ordering from EBAY in the future, although there's a risk of them getting lost in the mail, so no option is totally safe.