Points from gas stations

The math of winning at proline. Edge play, bankroll management and related issues.
tshi2015

Re: Points from gas stations

Post by tshi2015 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:03 am

Link your Triangle and Petro-Points Accounts to earn both CTM and 20% more Petro-Points at Gas+ and Petro Canada

ore locations. More rewards. More adventures.

Triangle Rewards members can now earn CT Money and Petro-Points on fuel at Petro-Canada and Gas+ locations nationwide.

Link your Triangle Rewards and Petro-Points Accounts to earn both CT Money and 20% more Petro-Points.

Convert your Petro-Points into CT Money with your linked accounts.

https://triangle.canadiantire.ca/en/par ... ent=341376

bangminton

Post by bangminton » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:10 pm

I was hoping we could *double-dip* by collecting CT $ and Petro Points when we buy lottery tickets at Petro gas stations but that is not the case, tshi.

But all of this may be a moot point, depending on how OLG will implement the new $100/day/store/outcome limit rule again in 2 weeks, as discussed in the main forum.

It's incredibly challenging to scale with this daily limit, especially with OLG updating odds in real time, and the points collected will be peanuts, as a result. Not sure if it's worth my time or yours to fight traffic and wait in line, just to be able to put $100 down.

We shall see how things go in 2 weeks!

tshi2015

Post by tshi2015 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:27 pm

right now the only bonus is if you link the 2 cards, you get 20% more petro points, so additional 0.2% reward for petrol point. This is true doesn't matter if you scan your card at CT or PC stations.

CT station owner complained that with this new system, they are forced to turn over half of their sales commission (2.5%) to petrol canada now. Since PC gives out less than that in reward points, clearly the head quarter is benefitting at the cost to individual gas station operators.

I can say for sure from many sources that retail business is sinking fast. Lots of stores for sale, some even given away for free in GTA area, but not many takers. A lot of factors are at play. It's not just a "lost decade" for Proline since the heydays 10+ years ago, but in general the Canadian economy has a "lost decade".

Lots of drive-run stealing gas, people stealing convenience store items, loitering, graffiti, drug shooting up in washroom. Rent, carbon tax, cost all go up every few months. With downfall of ProLine and lottery in general, it's just another straw on the camel's back. I predict a lot of gas stations/convenience stores are going under in the next 3 years.

kappa

Post by kappa » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:18 am

If you have been redeeming points in-store at Petro Canada double check your transaction history.

I have been redeeming points for gas in-store and since the end of February I noticed that my points were rapidly decreasing. After checking the transaction history I noticed that I was being double charged. As an example, if I redeemed $100 for gas (100,000 points) there would be two separate transactions for the same day of 100,000 points. After contacting Petro they did credit back the points and they said that this is a known issue.

I don't know if this also applies to redeeming for e-gift cards or only in-store but just a heads up.

pacer

Post by pacer » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:33 pm

Thanks for the heads up Kappa! I was going to fill up my car today. I will double check the receipt!!

bangminton

Post by bangminton » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:25 pm

I normally redeemed my Petro Points for Petro e-gift cards, which I can use for gas (or other items), and so far so good, but thanks for the heads-up.

I am not sure if you guys are still playing ProLine in stores but a lot of Petro stations are now strictly enforcing the $100/outcome/day/person limit. It's unfortunate because Petro has the 3x bonus Petro points for lottery purchases (including ProLine) going on right now, good until July 1st.

The convenience stores that I normally visit still allow me to run multiple tickets but I try not to overdo it because it will surely raise a red flag with OLG and I don't want to jeopardize the livelihood of these folks.

Not sure what the approach here, moving forward, because online betting is not for me so I will take it 1 day at a time and see what comes up.

mlansky

Post by mlansky » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:13 pm

Hey Bang, hope all is going well in OLG-land. Everything seems pretty dire with regards to Provincial Sports Lotteries in Canada now. Quick question..do you know if you can use your Petro-Points to purchase Petro-Canada Gift Cards and then in-turn purchase Vanilla Pre-Paid Mastercards with the Petro-Canada Gift Cards? I may be outdating myself here since I'm not even sure if Petro-Canada offers those Vanilla Pre-Paid Mastercards anymore but I remember that they used to. I haven't been inside a Petro-Canada in ages. Thanks!

bangminton

Post by bangminton » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:58 pm

Hey mlansky, great to hear from you my good man. I trust all is well out West! You are absolutely bang on...I am not aware of anyone making mint off OLG or WCLC or ALC or BCLC, with respect to sports betting anymore. If they do, they are certainly not saying anything and playing cards close to their chests! Times are a changin', my friend.

You can double check with Petro gas stations / Petro customer service but my understanding is no you can't use Petro Gift Cards (physical or electronic) to buy other gift cards, including vanilla MasterCard/Visa. See the T&Cs here

https://www.petro-canada.ca/en/personal ... ions#cards

Also be aware those vanilla MasterCard/Visa cards carry a fee to activate. I think $5.95 or something along that line. Again double check with the nearby Petro stations to confirm.

mlansky

Post by mlansky » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:50 am

Bang, thanks for the heads up. Ahh you jogged my memory, now I remember and you're right, there is a fee to activate those Vanilla Pre-Paid Mastercards/Visas. I will still double-check about purchasing other Gift Cards with Petro-Canada Gift Cards the next time I am driving by a Petro-Canada. Hope all is well out east!